Sunday, September 8, 2013

Families are like fudge…. Mostly sweet, with a few nuts.


The past few weeks have been a whirlwind of emotions for me and my family.  My parents who have lived in Ramah, New Mexico for the past 25 years have retired and moved to St. George Utah.  As we helped them pack and load the moving truck at the house where I grew up, a flood of memories came rushing back to me. This was the house that I grew up in, laughed in, cried in, and shared many wonderful memories . It was very bittersweet for me that my parents would no longer be living in this house and that it would soon be occupied by strangers.  As my two brothers and I helped my parents last week I couldn’t help but think how fortunate I am to have such a good family. Despite any differences we may have, I always know no matter what I have my family and they will always be there for me. As I reflected on all of this I couldn’t help but think of how lucky I am as an individual. I have been blessed with a wonderful husband and two beautiful daughters. Our youngest Kinlee, joined our family in July. As I hold her and look into her eyes I am reminded of how precious life is and how we should never take one moment for granted. It seems like just yesterday I was holding Paislee in my arms, now she is a rowdy two-year old who never seems to run out of energy.  This past Sunday we were able to bless Kinlee at church. We had a family gathering afterwards and although it was crazy with 30 people in my house at one time, it was great to be together as a “family”. Growing up in a big family there is never a dull moment, with 2 brothers and 2 sisters there always seems to be some kind of excitement or “drama” as my husband would like to call it. My oldest brother David and I often like to place bets on which one of the siblings the “drama” will be with when we have family gatherings. Most of the time we put our money on my oldest sister Aubrey and my youngest brother John.  When we all get together we laugh, fight, tell stories, make fun of each other, and most often someone (usually my sister Melodie) ends up crying. Despite it all each of us knows that it is all fun and games and that we all love each other and would do anything for each other. As I look at my family and Ty’s family although our families are different in many ways, at the end of the day the love and dedication that our families have to one another is the same.  Although there may be days where we drive each other nuts or don’t see eye to eye, we are still “families”. So to sum it all up I feel that this quote says it all, “Families are like fudge… mostly sweet, with a few nuts”.  I am so thankful to God for blessing me the wonderful family that I have. Take time and spend it with your family, build memories that will last a lifetime.  For me there is no place I would rather be, than with my family.
  
Candice Bond

3 comments:

  1. Families are the spice of life! I think it's awesome that you all sort of accept the roles you have and pull together to balance when needed. Ithis made me smile and even contact some of my siblings to express appreciation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where would we be without our families? I can't even imagine, even when they are a little nuts. :) Having lost my mom, I am so grateful to know that I will see her again. That gives me comfort each day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty fond of nuts:) I'm so grateful that Heavenly Father's plan has allowed us to grow and develop within family units. Even though they are all different-they are just what we need!

    ReplyDelete