Saturday, May 9, 2015

For All You Moms Who Sparkle by Suzanne Hancock

For my mom's birthday three years ago, part of her gift from us was a children's picture book, The Very Fairy Princess. My favorite line in this book is, "You just have to let your SPARKLE out!" I took this idea and wrote my mom a poem about the ways she sparkled to me. Unfortunately, I never gave it to her. She had surgery on that birthday, and two short weeks later, she departed this earthly life. With so much going on during that time, I just couldn't find the right moment to present her with this gift. It is still one of my regrets that I did not share this with her when I had the chance.

On this Mothers' Day, I hope for three things:
1. I hope that those of you who still have your mothers here with you will tell them all the ways they sparkle. Tell them in writing, tell them over the phone, tell them when you see them. Just tell them while you still can.

2. I hope those of you who have lost your mothers will remember their goodness and carry on their sparkle in your own lives.

3. I hope that all of you who are mothers will realize how much you sparkle in all you do, all you say, all you are to your children.

And now, I share with you the words I wrote for my own mom. I'm praying that she has better-than-Frontier internet service in heaven and can read this blog and know what is in my heart.

Mom's Sparkle
You sparkle by being
faithful and full of faith,
trusting in your Heavenly Father's care,
as He ever holds you
in the palm of His hand.

You sparkle when you
laugh,
especially at an inappropriate comment
someone else made ~
or you made,
shocking us all with the side of you
few get to see and hear.

You sparkle when you listen to music,
shoulder dancing to Abba,
singing that you know that your Redeemer lives,
wiping your tears when a song
touches a place deep within your soul.

You sparkle as an example
of the type of woman
all of us want to be,
compassionate,
loving,
forgiving,
and enduring.

You sparkle in your role of Gramma,
taking each one of nineteen
and making them feel like the only,
playing,
reading,
giving suckers.

You sparkle as a chef,
creating dishes flavored with
sugar, spice, and love,
sharing your expertise
through phone calls,
copied recipes,
and carefully put-together binders
to be used and cherished.

You sparkle
because you are Mom to me,
loving me with all my faults,
sharing my joys and sadnesses,
traveling with me to Washington,
and always leading me back home.

3 comments:

  1. This is great. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love & miss your mom and her sparkle too! But I see it growing in both you & Nicole! This is beautiful Suzanne!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is lovely Suzanne! Thanks for sharing

    Best regards,
    Maria Romero-Watson

    ReplyDelete