Saturday, December 3, 2016

My Grown-up Christmas Wish by Shelly Finch

Recently, the Church introduced a campaign this Christmas season to help us serve others just as the Savior did. It’s titled, “Light the World.” It challenges us to serve those around us in 25 days, in 25 ways. The Savior is the only true example of love and service. He healed the sick, prayed for and ministered to the children, visited the lonely, fed the hungry, clothed the naked, showed compassion, and forgave others.  These are just a few of the selfless things He did. 
This Christmas season, I personally have accepted the “Light the World” challenge to serve those around me for the next 25 days, but I don’t want it to stop there. I want it to continue!  I want the spirit of Christmas to last all year long. I want to be a small light in this dark world. As we turn on our Christmas tree lights or the lights on our houses, I want to be a light to those around me. I want them to see the pure love of Christ when they see me.
As a child, I remember sitting down and looking at the tree and wishing that the things I sent to Santa on my list would be there Christmas morning.  This year, I sit in front of my Christmas tree with a wishful heart of a more grown up Christmas. I am asking for each of us to look outside of ourselves for a moment, put our phones down, and enjoy time with our families.  Smile and say hello to a stranger on the street; look at people the way Christ does; take a break from social media; wake up each day with a thankful heart.  One day’s challenge states, “Jesus lifted others burdens, so can you.”  I am truly humbled to take part in this challenge. I love my Savior. I want to be more like Him, not only this holiday season, but every day.  I hope to become closer to Him as I learn more about how He lived and taught.  I hope you will accept the “Light the World” challenge and spread your light to all of those around you and make this your grown up Christmas wish. 

No comments:

Post a Comment