Monday, March 5, 2018

Letters from God --By Jessica Webb

Letters from God

Writing letters to God.  This was my first step to waking up from my “spiritual coma”.  Learning to write letters to God changed how I look at life.  It opened my eyes to an awareness that there was more going on than I had realized.

Before this, I was coasting.  I went to church, did my callings, read scriptures, said my prayers.  And yes, I even felt God’s love for me.  But I wasn’t progressing; I was coasting on what I already knew.  Was this my church’s fault for not teaching?  Of course not.  I love my church.  They teach the basic truths of the gospel and it is up to us to learn at whatever level we are at.  The principle of faith is so simple a concept it can be taught to children, but you could spend a whole lifetime trying to understand the full application of faith in action.  So my learning being stagnant was entirely my fault.  I was coasting.

The first time I heard about someone writing letters to God and getting letters back, my immediate thought was “good for you…”  I didn’t see the danger in this statement.  I wasn’t engaging.  I was still just coasting.  I didn’t even consider trying it to see if it would work for me.  I though “good for you” but I didn’t recognize the underlying message of rejection.  If I were to consciously finish the statement (as I did later) I would have said, “Good for you, but that kind of thing doesn’t work for me.  Besides if I try writing God a letter, what if I don’t get a response?  I wouldn’t handle that very well so I’ll just keep doing what I’m doing now.  I’m comfortable and I don’t really want to change.  Besides, that’s really weird anyways.”  That is what was going on in my subconscious as I said “good for you”.  As you may have noticed in that response, there are quite a few untruths and red flags in that statement.  If you feel hesitant about writing a letter, then pull out a paper and write down why.  With words written on paper, it is easier to see what is going on without emotions attached.

Anyways, the first time I heard about getting letters from God I blew it off.  But a few weeks later I heard about a nine year old kid who had wrote a letter to God and got one back.  His letter back was so simple and sincere, it touched my heart.  I thought, “I’ll give it a try.  Why not?”

So, how does it work?  For me, I start with a prayer in my heart.  This helps the spirit, or thoughts of light, to be around me.  It’s best to do this in a quiet place (at least as you are starting out) to keep your mind focused and avoid distractions.  I try to write letters in the morning while my kids are asleep because, as wonderful as they are, they are my biggest distractions.  Get a piece of paper and something to write with and get to work on a letter to your Higher Power.  For me that Higher Power is God who I see as my Heavenly Father.

I know this is basically a prayer written out on paper but it helps give me the focused intent I was missing in my worship.  After you finish writing your letter, go to the next page and listen to your heart for your letter back.  When a thought comes to you, write it down.  It was hard for me at first because I didn’t recognize the difference between my thoughts and the thoughts that were coming.  They sounded so familiar that I was sure they had to be mine.  But any time I pushed one aside, thinking I had made it up on my own, nothing else would come.  So I’d hesitantly write the thought down and another would come.  This continued until the letter finished with, “Love, Heavenly Father”.  Mind blown.  It was so simple.  Why hadn’t I known about this forever ago?  I had always believed in personal revelation, but I didn’t realize how clear it could be.

Quick question: Why is it hard for us to recognize the difference between our thoughts and thoughts of light?  I’d like to pose a possible answer for you to ponder on.  Are we not beings of light?  Our soul—the innermost part of who we are, is it not made of light?  As sons and daughters of God, or beings of truth, won’t some of these thoughts be within us?  Can’t the guardians (angels) speak truth to our soul and those thoughts filter to our minds?  That’s something to ponder on.

I do know that as you continue to work on writing letters that your recognition of the spirit, or thoughts of light, will increase.  You will be able to recognize these truth thoughts with more clarity and in so doing, you will begin to be prompted throughout your day.  You will start to recognize the difference between wandering thoughts and inspired truth.

Realize that with writing letters there is a process of growth.  You may get a page the first time, or maybe a sentence, or even a single word.  But even a word is proof that it is possible.  If you don’t get a letter back it doesn’t mean that God doesn’t care.  Ask in your heart why you didn’t get a response and go from there.  It could be that you have some programs or filters that need to be worked on or updated.  The results vary from one person to another, so don’t be disheartened.  Know that as you work on this it will grow and you will be able to recognize thoughts of light more easily.

Will this work for you?  I believe it can.  But there’s one way to find out.



Image may contain: 5 people, including Jessica Webb, people smiling, people sitting and outdoor

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your wisdom Jessica. I needed this right now.

    ReplyDelete