Saturday, July 11, 2015

Delicious Days by Kyla Crosby

I am honored to speak to you tonight as your co-salutatorian of the class of 2015. Never before in my life have I received such a prestigious honor that includes such merits as to write an extra homework assignment, and to then read it publicly in front of the biggest crowd I’ve ever stood before. But all jokes aside, I truly am grateful to be here.
I have been born of goodly parents. I have been taught; therefore, much is expected. Frighteningly, my dad sees me just as I am. His wisdom finds me, and pierces my heart. My mother is the wisest woman I know and annoyingly, she’s always right. Sandwiched between brothers and sisters, I have been protected and protective, bossed and bossy, counseled and counselor. Gratefully, my parents taught and expected.
Our house was red, nestled in a deliciously perfect neighborhood – thanks to Aunt Brandee’s baking. Adventurously, I assisted big brother Brock in perilous snake hunts. Around the corner we raced our bikes to the tree house where we fought battles in Rome, rode atop a camel’s hump, and ate worms. What delicious days!
One day, my mother suggested I could be valedictorian, planting in me this desire and goal for eighth grade. So, I worked, doing everything I could; I made sacrifices and did my best. However, some of my fellow classmates were also driven and I became salutatorian. But, still determined, my goal grew on to high school. Again I worked and did my best, yet still, second-place is my fate again. Of course, it has been a hard fact for me to accept, but given the caliber of students in our class I’m okay with it now, and through these experiences I have learned valuable lessons. I’ve realized that we, the class of 2015, have all learned these valuable lessons in one way or another, unique to our own experiences. We’ve learned the value of setting high goals because even if we don’t attain them, we’re still reaching new heights and personal bests in whatever we’re trying to do. We’ve learned the importance of hard work. We’ve learned to never lose sight of our end goal and to perservere, not letting setbacks derail our plans. We’ve made it this far, and now it's up to us to take these lessons into adulthood, out on our own, and use what we have learned to be successful and valuable contributors to society.
In closing, I’d like to express my gratitude to all of you; to my family, teachers, coaches, friends, and most importantly my parents. Without all of you none of us would be here today. You have taught us, inspired us, and made us believe in ourselves. Thank you.

1 comment: