Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Making it to the Flag by Sandy Liston

Several years ago I went to visit my oldest daughter and her family in Utah. She lives at the base of Bryce Canyon, surrounded by beautiful mountains. One particular mountain, located directly behind her house, has a flag that stands at its peak. Almost as soon as I arrived, my grandsons began begging me to climb that mountain with he goal to reach its peak and stand together under the flag. I had not anticipated this climb, but I gave in to their pleadings and reluctantly went with them. I soon discovered just how out of shape I was! The boys went all over that mountain trying to find an easy way for me to climb, all the while telling me that getting to the flag was a must. They pulled, they pushed, they even offered ropes to pull me to the next level, but, no matter how I tried, I was just too out of shape to make that climb. We all left very disappointed that day. I promised to go home and get in better shape so that I could reach the goal of making it to the flag with them.
A few months later I returned to Utah, and, once again, as soon as I arrived, the boys were begging me to try to climb the mountain. I was better prepared this time and had worked at getting in shape so that, together, we could reach the peak and walk to the flag. I also had some help this time as my youngest daughter had made the trip with me. With great anticipation, we walked to the mountain and began the climb. Again my grandsons were right there to assist me in any way they could think of. They cleared rocks out of my way, looked for easier routes, and cheered me on, and slowly I began making progress. As we neared the top, the boys ran to the flag and began jumping and cheering as they could see me getting closer. As I reached the top and began walking toward the flag, my sweet little Treyson came running toward me, jumping up and down as he exclaimed, "See Grandma, I told you it was better when we could all be here together!"

I have thought of this event many times and likened it to our earthly journey and Eternal goal. We help each other, cheer each other on, move rocks out of the way, and do our best to assist each other in any way we can. I can picture us jumping up and down as each member of the family makes it safely to our eternal home where we will all exclaim, "See, it is better when we are all here together!"

1 comment: