Saturday, February 20, 2016

Our Family's Glue by Douglas Patterson

Last week, I celebrated my 46th birthday with the people that I love the very most in the whole world: My wife Amanda, who is the most amazing woman on the planet; our 18- year-old son, who is a senior in high school and in the process of preparing to graduate and go on a mission for our church. Our middle son was also there. He will be 15 next month and is a freshman. He just finished a great basketball season! Our youngest son, who is 12 and in 6th grade, was there too. He’s a percussionist in the band, and he wrestles as well. All of our boys are outstanding, and we love them.  They’re not perfect, but they’re ours! We love them.

These great young men, however, were upstaged, and, quite frankly, stand in the shadows of the final guest at my birthday dinner. Their 7-month-old sister stole the show. That’s right. 7-month-old sister… So, by now you have done the math, and you’re right! I was 45 when she was born! I have heard it all (mostly from our boys). “Did you guys plan this?”… “Dad, you’re too old for this!”

Not long after she was born, even the lady at JoAnn’s got into the mix when she approached me and my daughter as we stood waiting for Amanda to check out…”Sir that is the cutest baby ever. You must feel like the luckiest Grandpa in the whole world.”  I knew it was bound to happen; I just didn’t expect it that soon.

While not a Grandpa, I am the luckiest Dad in the world. Hazel, our baby girl, was due on July third. She chose, however, to come on Father’s Day a few days early.  It was late Sunday evening, and I announced my intentions to go to bed, so that my 4:30 departure for the power plant would not be too abrupt. At 10:00 my wife joined me. At 10:15, she was a little uncomfortable and got back up. At 10:30, she kindly but firmly told me to get out of bed; it was time. I told her I would take a quick shower, and we would be on our way. She told me it would be the last shower I would ever take. I opted for a baseball cap, and we set out. I drove. My father-in-law was my co-pilot, and my sweet and laboring wife and her mom (an OB nurse) were in the back.

I’d like to add at this point, that I have ALWAYS dreamed of letting the horses run with no fear of legal repercussions! This was my chance.  I was confident that I could open my wife’s car up, and the 20 miles to the hospital would be half the normal trip it should have been. We were off!

About 5 minutes in, Amanda announced that Hazel was coming. Her mom disputed that.  2 minutes later, Amanda argued against the diagnosis. A quick check by the experienced nurse confirmed Amanda’s suspicion. I was commanded to rein in the horses and get to the side of the road. Before I could come to a complete stop, Hazel announced her arrival!  Oh man! We had just entered a realm you only hear about! 

No sooner had I stopped the car then I was ordered to open it back up.  I did as commanded and the last half of the trip was a literal blur.

We pulled into the hospital, and the onus of the delivery was moved from the back seat of the car, onto the shoulders of the capable hospital staff.  (There was nothing left for them to do!)

Once we settled in, and the adrenaline was gone, I began to realize the magnitude of what had happened and the blessing of the safe, healthy arrival of our baby, and the safety and health of her mom.

So, what is it like to be 46 and have a 7-month-old baby?  Well, you see our family is a blended family. Alex and Luke and I met Oliver and Amanda about 5 years ago. Amanda and I were married and started on this incredible, but sometimes difficult journey. We have been blessed by our Father in Heaven in ways that would have been unimaginable to me, had I just been a spectator. We moved up from the Valley, our kids entered new schools, and they immediately experienced success and friendship. My job has been perfect! We are happier than we could have ever imagined. BUT, there was something missing. I guess it was the glue…

When Hazel joined us late in the night of the longest day of the year, in the back seat of the car, our Father in Heaven added the glue to our family.

Now, a family of all boys has been softened by a sweet, impatient, smiling little angel.  When the school day is done, and practices are finished, there is a mad dash to drop backpacks and be the first to get to Hazel. She has been to every sporting and school event over the last seven months. Now she cheers! She’s not content to just be there; she loves to watch and yell. When we pray as a family, she yells, and we giggle! She loves her brothers, and they love her! We are a closer and better family because of her. Sure, I can relate with Abraham a little better now, but for the blessings we’re experiencing every day, it is well worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment