Saturday, May 21, 2016

You're Home by Eva Hinds

The names that adorn my family tree also decorate many others in the town of friendly neighbors: Tanner, Parkinson, Overson, Oveson, Jarvis, Christensen, Morgan, and Linton. Even though I did not grow up in St. Johns, I have very fond memories of spending part of the summers here, and it is always a welcomed surprise to figure out how familiar faces are related to me. 

I am named after my great-grandmother Eva (Overson) Tanner, the daughter of Henry and Margaret (Jarvis) Overson. She was the eldest of nine children—and the only girl. Many will remember my grandparents, Wallace and Maxine Tanner. It was their family reunions that had my family coming to St. Johns. I have always felt that St. Johns was home. Every time I return, a thought comes to my mind: “Take a deep breath. You’re home now.”

After my mission, I had the opportunity to move here. Hearing stories of the past and becoming aware of those around me who are woven into that history has been wonderful. Several times I have had people approach me and tell me how much I look like someone they once knew. When asked, it turned out that the person was one of my immediate relatives.

Even if I didn’t have these family connections (and I am still finding out about new ones), I believe I would still feel at home here. St. Johns allows anyone seeking family to find it. It is the simple every day actions of the town: the quiet acts of service, a warm greeting, the rallying behind a cause, a smile or a hug in passing, the fanfare for victories, and the comfort when mourning. I’m thankful to have the opportunity to live in such a place that also has family history and memories. 

Eva Overson Tanner (author's namesake)

Eva Tanner watching the St. Johns Pioneer Day parade in 1989

Maxine and Wallace Tanner (author's grandparents)

Hinds Family

Sydney and Eva Tanner, St. Johns 1989 for Tanner family reunion

No comments:

Post a Comment