Saturday, March 11, 2017

He Watched Over Me by Clint Wiltbank


I had an experience years ago that helped me realize that our Heavenly Father is real, and is very conscious of us.  It was at the end of my first semester at BYU.  I had a couple of different jobs just to try and keep up with expenses.  One of my jobs, I milked the night shift at the University dairy.  It was Christmas Eve, and I had just finished the 3rd shift around 2AM.  I had planned to drive all the next day to come home for Christmas. I drove an old '68 Chevy 4X4 pickup without any seat belts.  The dairy was in Spanish Fork, about 20 miles from where my dorm was on campus.  The interstate was abandoned as I made my way back to campus.  I remember driving about 75-80 miles per hour, when the front end of my pickup started bouncing so bad, I had a hard time getting the truck pulled to the side of the interstate.  Thinking that I had a broken front axle, I crawled underneath with a flashlight to survey the scene. The front axle was intact.  I climbed back in the cab, thinking I might be able to limp the truck the rest of the way into Provo.  I started, and everything seemed fine.  As I got back up to freeway speed, the truck started bucking again.  This time, after getting her shutdown, I took my flashlight, and stood several yards in front and could see that my driver-side front wheel was just resting on the 4 wheel drive hub.  There wasn't a lug nut left holding the wheel on.  That wheel stayed on that hub going 75 down the freeway, pulling off, starting again, and pulling off a second time.  There is no logical explanation why I shouldn't have been killed that night, other than I was being looked out for by some heavenly being.   

The next year I was on a mission for the church, working with the southeast Asian Vietnamese community in Houston, TX.  A lot of these people had been brought to the US on an immigration program after enduring some horrible experiences after the Vietnam war.  I constantly got the “A  kind God wouldn't have let such horrible things happen”.  I know that our mortal minds don't comprehend all things, and I fully believe that some day everything will make sense to us.  I do know that on that Christmas Eve so many years ago, my Heavenly Father was looking out for me, an insignificant 19 year old.  I have contemplated that experience many times since then, and am grateful that I was spared that night.

1 comment:

  1. I look forward to understanding some things. Thanks for sharing Clint.

    ReplyDelete