Saturday, June 17, 2017

My Special Trek by Heather Arave

I know there are always special experiences that happen on trek, and I wanted to share a few of mine. I was asked to go as an adult participant, and I was nervous because I am quite a shy person until I feel comfortable. I was so nervous about being around teenagers...even though I have 2 of my own. 13 all at once kind of scared me. I wasn't really sure what my role was or what was expected of me. This was the first trek experience ever for me and my family, so I had no idea what to expect at all. I went with a prayer in my heart that I would be able to open up to the kids and be able to interact with them. I also prayed that I would be able to have some special experiences and be able to connect with my ancestors.

The first day was pretty hard and tiring. We hiked 12 miles that day with no food, and I was so impressed that there were not any complaints from kids about how hungry they were. They just kept on going and doing what they were asked. I was so impressed at how everyone worked together to help each other through rough spots on the trail. It made me incredibly happy to see both the boys and girls run back to help others behind them that needed help over the rocky ridges or steep hills. It filled my heart so much to see so much love and kindness in these teenagers. Even though they were hungry and tired, they thought of others.

Later that night, after dark and a long rest, we set off again. We were told the boys would be leaving to go to on the "Mormon Battalion" and from the time we started we were not allowed to talk. It needed to be silent. The boys started off with us. Jaynie and I were in the yoke and the others were pushing. Once we got to a certain point, the boys were then to let go and not help anymore. I could tell the instant the boys let go; it got so much harder to push. The boys walked alongside of us, but they could not talk. I knew they were silently cheering us on and wanting to help. We pushed and pulled with all our might for, I don't know how long, but it felt like forever. At one point it felt like it was never going to end. As soon as the boys were given the okay to help, 2 of them jumped in the yoke and took over for Jaynie and I. What a relief it was to have the help of those strong boys again!

As I thought about this experience the next day, I can compare it to when we have the Savior by our side, life is hard, but definitely easier. If we lose sight of where we are going and let go of the Savior, then life gets really hard. The Savior is always waiting by the side silently cheering us on and wanting to help. As soon as we give the Savior the okay that we want him back in our lives, He will jump in and help. 


As I thought about my ancestor while walking, I thought about how strong she was and how hard it would have been to do this with little kids and pregnant, like she was. She even lost 3 kids to death along the way and her husband shortly after reaching Salt Lake. She had 6 kids like I do, and I can't possibly imagine losing any of them. I would like to think I would have had the testimony and strength to be like my ancestors. What a great deal of faith they had to have! I am so grateful for my ancestors and for their burning testimony to follow the Prophet, even if it meant being disowned by their families and being persecuted by others, to bring this Gospel into my family. I am grateful I was able to go on trek and for the amazing experience it was for me. To be able to learn of my ancestors and to feel a very very small fraction of what they went through will forever be etched in my mind.

2 comments: