Saturday, July 8, 2017

Power of Prayer by Megan Chlarson


For the majority of my life I feel like I have always had a pretty strong testimony of the power of prayer. Well in the last 5 years my testimony of prayer has grown leaps and bounds! Within these years my family and I have also been the recipients of so much love and service.
Most people know of the trials my family has gone through, and I can say without a shred of doubt that we would not have made it through them without the many hours of service rendered and prayers said on our behalf. I have literally felt the comfort surround me as if someone was hugging me with a blanket and whispering to me that everything will be ok!
The most recent trial happened while I was on the pioneer trek. Initially I was not asked to go, but I let the stake presidency know that if they needed someone I would be willing to go. Honestly I just wanted a little break from my kids! Someone couldn’t end up going and I was asked if I could fill in as an adult participant a week and a half before. I had been on trek twice before, once as a youth and once as a Ma and Pa with my husband and I loved it!
I was really excited and nervous to go, mostly nervous because I am not in as good a shape as I was the last two times I went. I also worry about my kids any time I leave them for more than a day or two. Still, I was determined to go and give it my all and have a good experience! My twin nieces (Savannah and Shayde) along with their good friend (Aubrey) were able to come last minute as well. They live in Gilbert, AZ. In the valley they just don’t do trek like we do here in the mountains, so I was super excited that they would be able to go, have this experience and make new friends.  Savannah has type one diabetes and my sister was really scared to let her go, but knowing that I would be there eased her worries a little. My sister actually said if I wasn’t going that she wouldn’t have let Savannah go. I was even put in the same family as Savannah which was a HUGE blessing for both of us! We got the best parents, Butch and Julie Nielsen, who were amazing with Savannah and keeping track of all of her stuff! Helping to take care of Savannah was not the trial I’m referring to, but I’m not gonna lie, the constant worry and little sleep making sure her blood sugars were stable  through the night was not easy. It gave me a little taste of what my sister goes through every day. 
While I was on Trek I received news that my little girl Roxy who is 18 months old was in the hospital. She had gotten into my mom’s diabetic medicine and was taken in to be monitored and make sure her blood sugars were stable.  My poor mom felt so bad, but you have to understand that my children are climbers and they get into EVERYTHING! When I was told about it, my husband wasn’t sure if she had gotten any in her system or not. I of course was a mess and was so worried. I could only imagine how my mom was feeling.
I have always been with my kids when they were hurt or had to be hospitalized, so this was hard for me, but my mom and husband were able to be with her so I knew she would be loved and taken care of. I asked my husband for a blessing of comfort so that I could stay and finish the trek strong. Larry (My husband), My Pa (Butch Nielsen), my brother (Logan Patterson), and Brother Spence Udall gave me a Priesthood blessing. I was able to feel immediate comfort and finish the trek without the constant worry and crying.
I had felt so strongly that I needed to stay on the trek, not just to be there for Savannah; I’m not sure for what other reasons, just that I needed to be there. I was able to get home and go be with her in the hospital. She did get some of the medicine in her system and her sugars went low so they monitored her for 48 hours. I later found out that the medicine she got into was one of the most dangerous and that she is very lucky to be alive! I know it is because of the prayers of safety and comfort and priesthood blessings that she is alive and safe with us today!
I often forget about the need of constant prayer and the blessings that come from it. Sometimes a trial is needed to remind me! I am so grateful for the Gospel in my life, for the power of prayer, and the healing and comfort that comes with it! I am thankful for the love of my Savior and my family and friends who are always so willing to give love, prayers and service in times of need! Thank you!

3 comments:

  1. Love this, love you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my Megan, you can make me laugh and cry at the same time! I love your testimony about the constant need for prayer. It's so comforting to know we can talk to our Father in Heaven and know he is listening.

    ReplyDelete