Sunday, November 5, 2017

Listen for an Answer by Bob Badger

Prayer is an amazing way of communicating with a loving Heavenly Father. One of the parts of prayer that can be lost is the act of listening. A wise man once told me, “we go to the Lord in prayer to ask out question and then we go to the scriptures to get our answers.” 
The other morning as I was reading in the Book of Mormon, I came across Lehi’s counsel to his two boys Laman and Lemuel in 1st Nephi 2: 9-10. “And when my father saw that the waters of the river emptied into the fountain of the Red Sea, he spake unto Laman, saying: O that thou mightest be like unto this river, continually running into the fountain of all righteousness!
10 And he also spake unto Lemuel: O that thou mightest be like unto this valley, firm and steadfast, and immovable in keeping the commandments of the Lord!”
I had been praying to know what the Lord would have me do. Part of my answer is here in this scripture. As I read it this time, I wondered why Nephi and later Moroni would include what seems to be a family problem. Then it dawned on me that I am one of those children as well. That counsel wasn’t just to those two boys, but it was counsel to an old man thousands of years later. To sum up the counsel “just be true and do what the Lord counsels you to do.”
 This morning, Elder D. Todd Christofferson counseled us to be thankful for a pause to go back and study what President Monson has already instructed us to do. Part of that counsel was to spend time in the Book of Mormon. As we search the scriptures and pray, the answers come little by little like a beam of sunshine shining through the storm clouds. He really is there and really does answer prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment