Saturday, October 28, 2017

The Magic of a Primary Program by Suzanne Hancock


On Sunday, our ward had its annual Primary program. As a new Primary president, I experienced this program in a different way than I had in the past. Before, I got to simply sit back and enjoy watching all of the children, as well as my own son. Now, in a new role, I felt stress and anxiousness as the day approached. It soon became apparent to me, however, that I need not worry at all because I truly am not the one in charge.

This is just my opinion, but I believe that the Spirit is the strongest in Sacrament meeting the week that those kids take over the podium. After all, the Lord counsels us multiple times to become as a little child. When I think about that, and when I watched the Primary children on Sunday, it is no wonder we should be more like them. They are humble. They are innocent. Their testimonies shine bright and pure. They sing like their voices are traveling straight to Heaven ... because they are.

Just as the parents' eyes focus on their child when it is their turn to speak their part, smiles and tears abounding, Heavenly Father, too, is focused on each child. He hears them proclaim that they will choose the right, that they will keep the commandments, that they will live Gospel principles, that they will try to live as courageously as the heroes in the Book of Mormon. He hears them, and He smiles.

How we need the examples of these children in our lives! I am so grateful to be able to work with them and to see their Spirits shine. They teach me how I need to live. I want to bottle up all those warm and fuzzy feelings that filled the chapel last week and experience the magic over and over again.

Matthew 18:3-4
And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.
Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment