Saturday, October 14, 2017

The Little Girls who Prayed by Jeanne Greer

Growing up in St. Johns was the best. There was always fun and adventures awaiting to be found. The Community Center/4-H building had just been built, and there were all kinds of fun classes like  sewing, cooking, and beading. I'm sure cow, chicken, sheep, and rabbit classes were going on that I wasn't interested in at that time. 

That winter we'd had a lot of beautiful snow. The snow had melted off the mountains and Lyman Lake had an abundance of water. The water was going over the spillway which had the Little Colorado River running high and swift.

There were some boys that were fixing a fence down on the river, so that the cows wouldn't be able to get in and get hurt. It was cooking class day, and several of us girls were at the Community Center cooking up some delicious stew and biscuits.

Someone came into the building and was telling our teacher that one of the boys that were working on the river couldn't be found. It just happened that this boy's sister was in the class. As girls that age, we were all so worried, and the first thing that came into mind was that we needed to have a prayer and ask Heavenly Father to help him be found safely.
  
In Proverbs 22:6, we read: Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. My parents taught me that in time of need or in gratitude that I could always talk to my Heavenly Father, and he would be there for me.

Matthew, Mark, and Luke in the New Testament say, "Suffer the little children to come unto me.” I know that Heavenly Father listened to our prayers that day as the boy that we were praying for was Tim Raban. I'm sure he never knew that five of us little girls would ever be praying for him that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment