Saturday, October 7, 2017

For a Reason by Lesley Nielsen


My first thought about learning that Trek was going to be this year was, Hey maybe they need some help. I had never been on the Trek before, so I figured I could try and be a helper. Boy, was I in for a treat.

I had no idea what I had gotten myself into. Learning what my role was going to be and what I was expected to do, I was feeling a little overwhelmed with all the responsibilities I had to take care of. 

First responsibility I had to make sure I took care of was, how do I make sure Subway is taken care of. Second, how do I make sure that my parents can run it properly. Third, the shock of, "I have to wear dresses?!" Since I don't wear dresses, except on Sundays, have never really been sized to wear one, I was a bit nervous on trying to come up with them. Fourth, walking 4 miles in an hour. I mean I walk around Subway a lot, so I'll be fine right? Yeah right, I about died walking that far that fast.

With all those responsibilities, I didn't know if i could handle it. Well everything worked out perfectly. I had Subway taken care of, showed my parents what to do, got the dresses made and powered through those four miles. I was all set for the best weekend/experience of my life.

Not knowing what to expect with being put into Trek families, I was a bit worried with what would happen and who was going to be in my family. Let's just say each one of those young men and young women who became my "brothers and sisters" were put in my family for a particular reason.

I was so excited to get to know each and every one of those kids and of course our Ma and Pa, Nicole and Shane Johnson. We shared laughs, heartfelt stories, what some of our fears were. Things I probably wouldn't have gotten to know if I wasn't there. They all helped me in such different ways, they have no idea what it meant to me to be their "Big Sis." I don't have little brothers or sisters, so this was the coolest experience, because I felt like a person that these kids could look up to.

With that being said, Trek also had some rough times. One in particular happened quite out of nowhere. Everyone knows the saying, Everything happens for a reason. Well, I'm a firm believer of everything happens for a reason. Here is a small story of why.

While walking with the handcart along with the fam, I started to get really bad muscle cramps in my calves. I told Ma that I'm going to go a little slower to see if I can just stretch them out and get them to cooperate for me. Being the Ma she is, she stayed behind with me to make sure I was okay. The cramps started to subside, so being the stubborn person that I am, I decided to keep on trekking, pun intended, along with everyone.

Not 30 minutes later, I was on the forest floor bawling my eyes out because I was in such pain from my calves. The cramps came back, but this time they disabled me. I couldn't move my feet either way without having my calves seize up and not move. I was hurting, disappointed in myself, and embarrassed, because everyone was making a fuss over me. I'm the type of person that puts others first way before myself, because I'll take care of myself when I can. So the fact that the medical team and the head Trek people were all gathered around trying to help me out, made me feel uncertain about myself. If it wasn't for them though, I wouldn't have gotten through the rest of the night.

This all happened just minutes before it was the Women's pull. I had been looking forward to that all day because I had never experienced it before, so I was ready. I was ready to be a leader and show these girls that they can do hard things. That, unfortunately didn't happen for me. Here is why I believe things happen for a reason. If I were there with the girls, pulling and pushing the handcart, I think I would have either severely hurt myself and/or put myself in a position where I, personally, had to do most of the work. I say that because I don't like others, especially "little sisters" doing things that will hurt them. Why put all of them through this, when it just has to be me. That's just how I am. Why does everyone have to suffer, when just a few are needed.

With me out of the picture, I had to come to the realization that not everything has to be done just by me. That I don't have to put that pressure on just myself anymore. Those girls pulled and pushed that handcart through everything that was in their way and proved to everyone that they didn't need an adult participant helping them, that they can handle anything that comes their way.

Well the cramps finally subsided, and I could walk again, barely, but I pushed through it. When I finally showed up again with my family, I realized then how much I was missed and cared for. In just that short amount of time of walking with my family, they became like my real family.

The rest of Trek flew by. I know it was just a couple of days, but it truly seemed longer than that. Doing so many activities, getting to know our ancestors better, and getting to know our Trek families better, was the best experience I think I have ever had. I have a testimony of this gospel, and I truly believe that everything does happen for a reason. So if you're late, or forgot your keys and have to head back to your desk or even get hurt along the way, it is for a reason. A reason that we may never know at that moment, but in due time it will come to us and we'll realize why these things have happened.

I truly loved Trek even with the bad stuff. Without trials, we can never fully enjoy our blessings. I loved all of the families and helpers who were there. Without all of you being a part of it, it wouldn't have been the success that it was. Thank you for the experience of a lifetime. Can't wait till the next one!

No comments:

Post a Comment