Saturday, January 20, 2018

Just Be Happy Today by Jana Eisley

So, My Birthday was an Ordinary Tuesday...

It's been a season of birthdays at our house. I always struggle with birthdays. I'm not great at giving gifts, I'm not the best at throwing parties, but I do try to make each person feel special on their birthday. We sing, we cook favorite foods, we wrap up little (usually edible) surprises, we give lots of hugs, we write lots of love notes, we have cake and ice cream, and everyone is super nice to you because it's your birthday. 

It's tradition.

It's true, I'm a grown up. I have been for quite a few years now, and sometimes I can't even remember how old I am, but I also have a birthday. Being a grown up means that often, birthdays aren't that exciting, but we can still hope, right?

I guess I'm a bit predictable, because when my kids asked me what I wanted for my birthday they also said "AND DON'T SAY A CLEAN HOUSE AND HAPPY KIDS!" But really, seriously, that is what I want! What could make a mom happier than a clean house and happy kids! I don't need expensive gadgets or fancy perfume. I don't need jewelry or days at the spa. (I can always use some chocolate though.) All I really want is a day of blissful peace, when the house isn't an obstacle course and everyone is kind to each other. Is that really too much to ask?

So I woke up that morning and it's my Birthday. It's a normal Tuesday. My husband is working. He's up and gone before I even stir. I've been through this before, so I know what today will be like. I know last nights dirty dishes are still in the sink. I know that the laundry is still piled up by the washer. I know that I will have to be chauffeur, chef, teacher, nurse, and mommy, just like every other day. I know that there is no one else coming to my rescue today. I don't mean to make it sound like my life is awful, it isn't, I'm living the dream, but today is My Birthday, and I can't help but wish for something different. 

But then, I make a decision. Today something will be different. Today, I will be different. Today, My Birthday, I will choose to be happy. I choose to have a good day, no matter what.

So, I did.

I still washed all the dishes, moved on the laundry, cooked, cleaned, taught and bandaged scraped knees, but I did it all while being happy. And because of that many special moments of Birthday Greatness stand out. 

I found a note from my husband on the bathroom mirror. "Happy Birthday Jana!" Awww! My kids made me (burnt) toast. Lol! My sisters texted me, and I got a special call from some family singing me "Happy Birthday" which was a highlight because my niece told me I could be anything I wanted for Halloween! That's good to know! I got so many pictures and love letters... and I even had a few friends drop things by. Because I decided to be happy each little moment of love expressed seemed to have a greater impact. I felt loved and supported. 

I still made my own dinner, and it was a favorite of mine. I still haven't made my cake because I was too tired to do it that day, (though my kids want you to know that they made cupcakes the day before) and anyway I got enough chocolate to sugar me up for a few weeks. I guess the moral of the story is that, well, I had a good birthday, even though it was just an Ordinary Tuesday. And it made me wonder... could every day be like that? Could I really just decide to be happy? Is it really that simple? I think maybe it is. After all "Men (and women) are that they might have joy"  Isn't that why God put us here? So for now I will take my mantra off of  the mug my sister got me for my birthday... (even though it hasn't arrived in the mail yet)

 "I Think I'll Just Be Happy Today"

No comments:

Post a Comment