Sunday, January 7, 2018

90 is greater than 100 by Celeste Crandell


Many aspects of the teachings of Christ can bring peace and protection. I feel that paying a full tithe has truly blessed my family and given me peace in times that could have been overwhelmingly stressful. 

Before moving to Saint Johns, my husband, Oman, worked for Catalyst at the paper mill outside of Heber. We had lived in Heber since 1992, but knew we would probably have to move in order for Oman to find employment after we found out the mill would be closing down.

Oman began applying for jobs almost immediately, but with no real success. We were, of course, nervous for our family of eight to loose our income and health insurance. Miraculously, Oman was one of the six men asked to stay and continue employment for five months after the mill closed. This was a great blessing, as we had two children serving in the mission field and we were concerned about continuing to support them financially. As the time came and Oman no longer had a job he continued to be blessed with work. A plumbing contractor needed his help on a big job for several months. Then he found work in New Mexico. He took the job temporarily, until he could find permanent work with benefits. He was getting discouraged as he continued to interview, but without positive results. During this time we were fasting and praying we would find work where the Lord wanted our family. We continued to pay our tithes and I remained surprisingly calm and assured all would be well. As I look back on this time I am amazed that I wasn't freaking out and I truly feel I was blessed to be a calm in our family's storm.

President Henry B. Eyring taught, "By our decision now to be a full-time payer and our steady efforts to obey, we will be strengthened in our faith and, in time, our hearts will be softened. It is that change in our hearts through the Atonement of Jesus Christ, beyond the offering of our money or goods, that makes it possible for the Lord to promise full-tithe payers protection in the last days (see D&C 64:23). We can have confidence that we will qualify for that blessing of protection if we commit now to pay a full tithe and are steady in doing it."

A saying of Getulio Walter Jagher e Silva that he shared in the December 2017 Ensign has become a favorite. He wrote, "I like to say that the law of tithing is contrary to mathematics because 90 will be greater than 100. As we give the Lord 10 percent of our income, He promises to "open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it" (Malachi 3:10)."


I truly feel 90 was greater than 100 at that time in our lives and I believe my faith was increased and I was blessed with a peace that only the Savior can fully offer. It was not a worldly peace, but an indescribable feeling that all would be well and it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment