Sunday, December 31, 2017

Unseen Gifts by Riley Raban

I have recently returned from a mission in El Salvador in Central America. So this is the first Christmas that I have spent with my family in two years. My outlook on Christmas has changed so much over these two short years. Before, I was only excited about Christmas for reasons such as the presents, snow, or maybe even just the chance to get out of school. I remember counting down the days and wondering what brightly wrapped present I was going to get. It truly was an exciting time.

In El Salvador it wasn’t quite like that. I remember walking through the streets on Christmas Day and feeling almost no Christmas spirit. There were no lights, no snow, and not even any Christmas trees or presents. I thought these people don’t understand how Christmas really should be, they don’t even know what Christmas is. I remember feeling sad that first Christmas away from home. As I prayed that night, I remember feeling an overwhelming love for the Savior and also my family. I had realized that really the thing that was most special about Christmas was the opportunity to be with my family. All gathered around laughing and sharing memories. I realized the truthfulness of the Grinch’s realization that, “maybe Christmas doesn’t come from a store, maybe perhaps it means a little more.” The greatest gifts we get at Christmas aren’t seen.

The greatest gift is our Savior Jesus Christ because thanks to him we have the amazing Plan of Salvation, that enables us to be together forever with our families. It’s such an amazing gift that I never appreciated until I was separated from them. As we taught people that December we focused on the Savior and his wonderful plan. It gave people hope to find out that they could be with their families forever, and they could live again with him one day. The joy of Christmas is so much more than opening a box. The joy of Christmas comes from knowing that thanks to Jesus Christ, we can all be eternally happy with our families.

I know that Jesus lives, I know that through his Atonement we can be forgiven of our sins and saved. I know that families are essential in the plan of salvation and that He is the gift.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your thoughts Riley! I sure love your family!

    ReplyDelete