Sunday, December 24, 2017

Repost: What Can I Give? by Virgene Silvers

I have a vivid memory of the night I graduated from St Johns High School.  My classmates and I gathered outside on the front steps leading in to the school.  The school auditorium was filled to capacity, brimming over with townsfolk who’d come to celebrate with us.  We were decked out in traditional white and red graduation robes, making last minute preparations for “Pomp & Circumstance,” the Processional March.  I was anxious and ready to get this over with so I could move on.  I blurted out, “I can hardly wait to graduate and get out of this town!”  Mr. Sam Udall, school principal, turned around and said to me, “The day will come when you will regret those words.  You will come to love St Johns and appreciate what you learned here.”  He was right; boy was he right!

It took me a while to know Mr. Udall was right.  I made a lot of mistakes.  I was a bit arrogant and worldly.  It was after the birth of my children and the deep appreciation of motherhood that I came to my knees.  I thought of the wonderful mothers of my childhood.  I knew a big change was needed.  My thoughts and heart turned home: to St Johns, my parents, teachers, and friends; the lessons learned, the principles and values taught, and, above all, a town where family and faith is paramount.  Though difficult and fraught with highs and lows, the move to St Johns with my children was a blessing.  I’m deeply grateful for those parents, friends, and teachers who helped raise Renee’ and Jason.
  
This brief glimpse into days’ past is to acknowledge how much friends and family of St. Johns, my hometown, have given me.  I’ve received gifts of example, love, friendship, acceptance, and employment.  I HAVE been given much.  But, the ultimate gifts are repentance, forgiveness, the knowledge of Jesus Christ, my elder brother, the Light and Savior of the world and his atoning sacrifice for me.
The last ten weeks I’ve spent associating with a diversified group of our community: young and old, of every religion and station of life.  What a wonderful privilege to share our common belief in Jesus Christ and celebrate his birth through camaraderie and beautiful music!  Making friends by singing in a community choir is an exceptional way to get to know and love thy neighbor.

I go outside at night and look upward to Heavenly skies and see the stars over our blessed little town so quiet and peaceful.   I can see over the little village and enjoy the Christmas lights twinkling on decorated homes and down “Main Street.”  I can envision the angels singing as the world in solemn stillness lay, when the time foretold came, Christ is born of Mary, a babe in a lowly manger.  HE is the gift.

We are all God’s children, brothers and sisters.  May we continue to serve and love one another.  Jesus Christ has shown us the way.  We have a perfect pattern to follow.  He is our Savior and Redeemer.  Peace on earth and good will toward all men.  Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment