Monday, August 24, 2015

Unforgettable Acts of Service by Larry Chlarson

I was asked to share a few words with the readers of this blog. As I wondered what I was going to share, I got to thinking to myself what is it that makes this a wonderful small town life? More and more I see young couples bringing their families back to the place they grew up in, to raise them in this wonderful town. For me the lessons I learned growing up are a big part of the reason why I came back with my own family. Hard work and serving those in need were things I saw every day growing up. We have all heard the saying, “It takes a small town to raise a child right.” Those words are so true! We have had so many experiences in the time since we have been back that have helped our family grow. My kids still talk about the service that we received when Megan was in the hospital for so long with Ryder. Being a single working dad with 4 kids during that time was not easy, but friends and family pulled together and made that stress go away. I had people on call at all hours of the day and night to take kids when I worked, make meals, clean house, do laundry, and so much more. I know this made things a lot less stressful for Megan, too. That is what makes this such a wonderful place to live. The lessons that we as a community will pass on to our children are priceless. I am so grateful for the lessons my children will learn with the help of teachers, parents, friends, bishops, and everyone else that makes up this wonderful place we call home. Megan and I will forever be grateful for the service and love of our amazing community! Thank you for helping us raise our family in such a great environment. Some of you may know that I like to write poems. Here are a couple I would like to share about two of my boys.
Ryder
When mom gave me the news that you were on the way
We rejoiced together, it was a happy day.
We knew you were special from the very start
Number five in the family and close to our hearts.
At nineteen weeks you gave us a scare
The doctor said you had low fluid in there
Mom and I were both worried and stressed
Mom hungered for comfort and asked to be blessed.
A blessing I gave with my hands on her head
Please replace this fear with comfort instead.
As mom lay in her bed for the next 3 weeks
With a heavy heart and tear stained cheeks
She prayed very much to our father in heaven
That you would survive and bring our family to seven
At week 24 they gave her a room on floor five
The pre-natal unit to try and keep you alive.
Blessings and prayers were sent our way
That’s how we made through each long day.
3 more long weeks your mom held on
Till the doctors said that your fluid was gone
The doctor said it was time to go
So with trust in the lord we went with the flow
They cut mom open and they pulled you through
So little and tiny, so purple and blue.
They rushed you out, they took you away
13 weeks early, no time for delay.
I saw the doctor and the look on his face
He is not breathing, no time to waste
Uncle John and I laid our hands on your head
I gave you blessing, let him live I said. 
Your lungs started working they filled up with air
The doctors and nurses just stood there and stared
From that day on you fought and you grew
Each day progressing onto something new.
I want you to know that you are loved and blessed
Sent from heaven to pass this test.
Sent here to earth to do great things
A heart so tender and a soul that sings.
Stay close to him that gave you breath
While you lay on that bed so close to death.
Do your best to win this game
Forever upholding his holy name.

Connor
Come here my child so you can see
I want to show you your family.
I’m sending you to start a life
That’s your father and his loving wife.
You will have a brother to run and play
And help you know what’s right to say.
Send me father I want to go
So much to learn, so much to grow.
Know this my child, it will be hard
For you will be dealt a different card.
To you I give an important task
I know your soul that’s why I ask.
Teach them patience and teach them love
Remind them daily of their Father above.
Hug and kiss them with your tender heart
Let them love you and do their part.
As father and mother to a special spirit
Make sure you’re loud so they can hear it.
Those around you will hold you so dear
Longing for you to always be near.
Now go my child and soon we will be
Together throughout all eternity.

5 comments:

  1. Never knew that you wrote poetry Larry - Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, Thank you Larry for sharing your talent and very tender times in your families' lives. Always admired both a you and Megan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Larry, I love your poems. They are truly special just like your family is. Every summer I look forward to seeing Conner, he warms my heart and puts a smile on my face. I too write poems, when I write it warms my heart. Again, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Larry, I love your poems. They are truly special just like your family is. Every summer I look forward to seeing Conner, he warms my heart and puts a smile on my face. I too write poems, when I write it warms my heart. Again, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Larry, thank you for sharing your talents. Your poems are so beautiful-full of love and understanding. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete