Saturday, August 29, 2015

Blessings and Opportunities by JoElla Pratt

As I sit here and reflect on life in our wonderful small town of St. Johns, Arizona, I can’t help but be content. You may ask why? What does St. Johns offer? Well I will tell you…it offers opportunity. Again you may ask, really in St. Johns? The answer, in my opinion, is a resounding YES!!! For example, shortly after finishing his student teaching in English, my husband, Eric Pratt, was offered a position teaching Science.  How many places do you know that would hire a teacher outside his/her studies? It gets even better, though, after hiring him they asked him to study for and take the Science Certification test for Arizona, which he did and passed, and now because of that he is certified to teach English and/or Science in the state of Arizona. This is a huge blessing for our family, if ever we have to move (crossing our fingers we don’t) since he can apply for either position in any school district. 

Another example is even more recent for me specifically. I was approached by Sharon Raban to apply for an Aide job at the Coronado School with the kindergarten children. We had been praying for an opportunity for more income in our little family that would provide enough help but also allow me to be home with Wallace after school. This was the exact opportunity that we needed. I am able to work just the hours Wallace is in school and even get to work in his classroom with him. Even though I have only been working for two weeks, I love my job, and I really love coming home with Wallace. Again I don’t know many other school districts that seek out and ask for people to apply for a job, and then allow them to work in the classroom with their own children. 

One last example of a wonderful opportunity that I believe is really only available in a small town, is being able to coach Wallace’s soccer team. Just recently Rachel Winters called me and asked me to be the coach for Wallace’s soccer team (4-5 year olds). I was excited for the opportunity but also felt I needed to inform her I didn’t know very much about soccer. Rachel assured me that wasn’t a problem that I just needed to make sure the children had fun. I know in many big cities, parents want coaches that have experience (even with children of such a young age) because there are more coaches available.

So, in my eyes, there really is not a better place to live. If we lived in a big city I would not have the joy of working with and coaching my son and Eric wouldn’t have gained the Science knowledge he has been so blessed with. I know Heavenly Father placed our family in St. Johns so that we could grow and blossom together as a family. I am truly grateful to be here and love this wonderful small town.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for those eternally important points. SJ does grow us and our families! Great perspective.

    ReplyDelete