Saturday, September 5, 2015

Finding the Falls by Eric Pratt

"Everything will be all right in the end, and if it is not all right, it is not the end," says Deborah Moggach in her amusing novel, The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. Many times, I wanted to believe that life had come to an end in my life. When best friends parted ways after a childhood of adventures and memories, I wanted to believe that I would never have another friend. Then God gave me JoElla. When I left my missionary service in Portugal, I wanted to believe I would never be with a more blessed people. Then God showed me Arizona and Idaho. I was sure after years of trying and a short prognosis from a doctor that I would never have children. Then God gave us Wallace. I wanted to believe I would never call somewhere home if that place were not the Montana where I was raised. Then God gave me St. Johns.

Clearly I am not a native of this wonderful little town or even this state. As mentioned before, I grew up in Great Falls, Montana, whose name was given a short time after the Lewis and Clark Expeditions across the Western United States. Winter was setting upon the explorers and the explorers needed desperately to stay upon the way of the Missouri River. The way of the river was still unknown, but for one thing. A portion of the river upstream was covered in great waterfalls. They would know they were on the correct path if they found these falls. To say they were relieved when they saw the first set of waterfalls would probably be an understatement. We in Great Falls like to look at the falls as a landmark of hope in the navigation and discovery of a new place, even though they represented the beginnings of a new obstacle, as the expedition now had to portage their heavy dugout canoes around the waterfalls. In hearing the story so many times in elementary school and from my parents, I think there is a lesson to be learned from these explorers. When old things end, new things begin, and just because things are all right, does not mean that the work and trials are over.


Things have not been perfect nor easy in any stage of life, but it has always been all right. At this stage, I find myself learning more about myself and my family than at any other stage before. St. Johns, as JoElla wrote, has been a place of opportunity for us. We have not always been prepared for every job, calling, and service task that has been presented to us, but each duty has provided the opportunity of learning, understanding, building friendship, and of sharing service we might not have ever given otherwise. There will always be another lesson or class to teach, a game to coach or direct, another event to volunteer with, and one more thing to share with the good neighbors here in this wonderful town. One more opportunity to build from the last, remember, and become a better person. Being in St. Johns has provided a place where we can have an end that culminates our experiences, blessings, and education for people who would treasure it and utilize us in a way that makes us feel a part of the wonderful St. Johns Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment