Sunday, September 13, 2015

Give a Little More by Kadee Avila

These three people have altered the course of my life. 
 They are selfless and blatantly sincere. 
They are the type of good that your soul gravitates towards. 
.   .   .

Randy Lussier


This man sees potential.
 As a scrawny little 11 year old, Coach Lussier saw how badly I wanted to play. He saw a skill and work ethic that I hadn't even developed yet and he encouraged me to cultivate it. 
I love his sense of humor- it should be classified as 'unique and witty'. 
Us girls on the soccer team enjoy his play on words...
and how 1/3 of our practices was us girls circled on the grass for a meeting. (Haha)

He taught me about soccer and life.
He shows up for all the extracurricular activities we participate in.
I know Coach must have felt like he had literally taken on the world-because he was taking on 20+ girls who were at all different stages of their soccer careers and showed them how to love the game and play for each other.
Coach Lussier spends hours pondering the game and how each girl will help the team. He also ponders how to help each girl become better. 
How I appreciated it and still do- in my eyes his efforts do not go unnoticed.
.   .   .

Michael Cirivello
"Kadee, This is soccer! It isn't a rugby game."-Coach Mike
(One of the best lines I've ever heard coming off the field onto the sidelines) 
Coach Mike is a second father to me. 
He is tough and fun. He loves his 80's music, country music and use to have 'luscious' flowing locks. He loves to sing on the way to NAU soccer camp, and is quite good at it. He works long hours but is always there when he can be. He does the extra little things to help us girls grow in our potential. He is strong and able and I have the highest respect for him. 

He is one outstanding Goal Keeper-Coach and is patient with us girls when we act a bit silly. I have been so thankful for the way he worked with my best friend, Jamie and believed in her.  If you ever get a chance to ask Coach Cirivello about himself, you won't be disappointed. In the midst of his story you'd get a sense of his character. You'd be able to see a life that has been lived with honor. I hope to emulate this someday.
.   .   .

Lisa Trickey
Coach Trickey has inspired me to never settle.
She has inspired me to 'give a little more' because in the face of fear, she knew I could.
I can honestly say that when Coach Trickey tells you how to play the game, you dang well better do what she says and do it well... 
because it always pays off.

She is the kind of good that touches you and leaves its mark. 
Coach Trickey has the ultimate sense of style that involves both cute skirts and scarves. 
She is someone I adore. 
She is the girls translator when the guy coaches don't understand.
She is selfless and warm-hearted.
She is feisty and the best advocate to have on the sidelines.
She will expect you to do your best and nothing less.
 She has a passion for the world and the possibilities she sees in people.


.   .   .

They may each see coaching as a small thing to do...
a small impact in the lives of the girls in St. Johns. 
 Oh, but how is has impacted me.
I have learned lessons from listening and watching them. 
I hope and pray that I can show love to those around me like these three do. 

 In a small town being a coach must be a hard task to take on. There is always a political turbulence behind the 'nay-sayers' motives. I imagine it is in no way pleasant for these three to take ridicule-publicly or privately.
I played 7 years with these three.
I will never be able to express fully much how much their efforts have meant to me. 
The hours of practice, the loss of sleep, the stress that they have gone through because they love us girls and this game. It is inspirational.
.   .   .

I love this game. I love the rush of adrenaline I get from connecting with my teammates on the field. I love competition. I love the feeling of working your heart out and your legs numb. I love the strength it has brought into my life and the people I have met because of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment