Saturday, January 16, 2016

Seeing the Joy by Missy Waite

For some time now I've felt like I've just been living a good life and things were going smoothly. I've just been content with my life. I mean I've had little ups and downs and have worked through them. I've always been grateful for what I have. I have a good life. But, my perspective has shifted recently. I have started seeing the joy in my life and that has made all the difference.

As a member of the LDS faith I love the scriptures including the Bible and The Book of Mormon. I believe that both books have been given to us by God who loves us all. I love and respect the teachings of both books and I think they compliment each other perfectly. Last summer I began a study of the Book of Mormon in which I sought references to joy. I bought one of those little blue books that are quite generic and turned it into something really special for me. In the inside cover I wrote "The Book of Joy" by: Missy Waite and began my search. Every time joy was  mentioned I marked it. All references to joy - joy, rejoicing, happiness, delight, cheer, etc. I marked everything in yellow because to me that's the most joyful color. Even the sticky notes I used to record thoughts along the way were yellow. The back of the book is filled with blank pages in which I recorded quotes I found about joy and joyful things. I began each study session with a prayer that I would find the joy in the book. Eventually my prayers turned to finding joy in my life. I was teaching myself to find joy every where. And the Lord answered my prayers!

As I worked my way through the book and found reference after reference on joy and rejoicing I began to notice that the only instances when joy was mentioned was when someone was referencing something having to do with Jesus Christ and His gospel. The prophets recorded their joy in Christ and His redeeming power. Whenever someone was happy it was because they were testifying of the goodness of Christ and His blessings. Not once did anyone rejoice when recording sad tales of rebellion and wickedness. Always the references for joy were connected to Christ and His gospel - a gospel of joy! 

At one point I had been reading for two weeks or so and found very few references to joy. I began to think, 'wow, this part doesn't have much joy in it' - I began to miss finding the joy. In my prayer that morning I mentioned this to the Lord and began to wonder why I was even doing this study. I got up off my knees and found myself reading the most joyful chapter in all of the Book of Mormon! On the very day I was thinking there wasn't much joy. It hit me! It was the most awesome experience I've had studying the scriptures. In Alma chapter 26  Ammon is rejoicing in the success he and his companions have found in their missionary work. He rejoices that they stuck with their efforts to teach repentance and forgiveness. Thousands of people had come to know the mercy and love of Christ. He rejoices that he himself was able to repent and turn to God and that he was forgiven! He was able to share what he had with others and the Lord had mercy on every single one of them that accepted His gospel and repented. My favorite verse is verse 16: "Therefore, let us glory, yea, we will glory in the Lord; yea, we will rejoice, for our joy is full; yea, we will praise our God forever. Behold, who can glory too much in the Lord? Yea, who can say too much of his great power, and of his mercy, and of his long-suffering towards the children of men? Behold, I say unto you, I cannot say the smallest part which I feel." Isn't that awesome?! Such joy! 

My prayers have been answered. I have found the joy. Actually, I have not just found the joy because it's always been there. I have actually started SEEING the joy in my life. Through this study my prayers changed at some point. I began my study with requests to find joy in my life and ended my study with requests to see the joy in my life. It's there, it always has been, I just need to SEE it! My life is full of joy and I rejoice in my Savior for giving it to me. His gospel is the most joyful thing ever! How amazing is it that no matter what we do or don't do we are still loved by the Lord? He never gives up on us. Never. He's only waiting for us to come to Him and when we do, boy, we better be ready to receive all the joy that comes with it! He is amazing. Life is amazing! See the joy!

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the simplicity of scripture study......

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an inspiring idea! Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic idea. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete