Thursday, January 28, 2016

What I Wish I Would’ve Told Myself as A Young Mother by Shelby Brown

I read the byline for this blog- celebrating everyday life. So I thought I would share something I have recently been trying to do every day that has brought happiness to my life: scripture study.

Now I will rewind 7 years to when I became a mother. Having my first child was wonderful, eventful, inspiring, and tiring! My years of well-established habits of daily scripture study began to dwindle. Within 18 months, a second child was born and now my scripture study was not only dwindling but practically non-existent. A third baby came along, and I was surely convinced that there was little room in my life for sitting, let alone solitary reading. But then it came- a moment that squashed my many rationalizations. A friend of mine with young children like me (and even one more than I) shared her testimony to our congregation. She talked about the power of reading the scriptures every day. I was amazed and humbled by her simple words. I felt like they were meant just for me.

I was so impressed and in awe of her practice that I asked her to share more details about her studies. She said she read the scriptures every night before going to bed even if for a few minutes. I decided to try it myself.

I am not a night reader, so I first tried waking up early- that did not last long with my fourth baby on the way. I tried to read during my third son’s naptime, but that quickly didn't pan out. I forgot about reading for a while, and then I remembered again after my baby got on a napping schedule.

I prayed about finding a specific time to have my scripture study and decided I would bite the bullet and turn on cartoons for my boys while the baby was napping in order to get in my scripture study. Well, it is working, and I love it!  I won’t enumerate all the benefits I have found from daily, good, and, at times, very average scripture study, but I will share a few.
1  Faith in Jesus Christ: I find the future always looking brighter and my choices to choose good more clear.
2  Personal Peace: I feel more temperate and peaceful with my children.
3  More Consistent Family Scripture Study: I would like to give a bit more detail to this blessing. I wish I could have told myself as a young mother- “Shelby, whatever you have to give up or adjust, scripture study is worth it! The mother you want to be will more easily come as you study your scriptures daily.” As I have taken a more determined approach to reading my scriptures daily, I have felt a desire to more seriously share scriptures with my children and testify of specific truths to them. This has genuinely brought me greater happiness and more confidence in the Lord. My children have not magically transformed into angels through our brief morning study, but the moments we have together during scripture time has brought us closer to each other and to our Heavenly Father. I feel that I am doing my part as a mother that will help call upon blessings from God when my children need them. If I were to only receive this one blessing from personal scripture study, I believe it would be worth the efforts.


I am so grateful for inspired friends, for being able to learn and change, and for the power of “small and simple things” in everyday life.

2 comments: