Saturday, March 12, 2016

Decide to Be Kind by Stacy Frazier



Tim McGraw released a song recently that admonishes us to stay humble and kind.  In its simplicity, this message is so needed in our world today. The words of the chorus state:

Hold the door, say please, say thank you
Don't steal, don't cheat, and don't lie
I know you got mountains to climb but
Always stay humble and kind
When those dreams you're dreamin' come to you
When the work you put in is realized
Let yourself feel the pride but
Always stay humble and kind

Wouldn’t this just be a nicer place to live in if people were to practice consistent kindness? Oh wait, I know that place! I was inspired by some recent acts of kindness that I read or heard about.  A group of people put on several fundraisers to help a young couple with unexpected medical expenses.  A family spends a day during the holiday to clean up a disabled man’s yard. A man bought a thousand dollars of basic food storage supplies for a family whose father was diagnosed with cancer. Police officers take time out to read to kids. A lady, waiting to be treated in an emergency room, sees the need of an older gentleman who cannot find a way home, and calls him a cab.  A meal is brought in, unsolicited, to a new mom, a local doctor answers his phone night and day to give help and advice, coaches giving rides, ladies grocery shop for their elderly sisters, uplifting words are written or said…The list could go on and on.

People who make kindness a priority in their lives are selfless, sympathetic, perceptive, gentle, considerate, courteous, and non-judgmental.  In the Bible in the book of Jude it says, “And of some have compassion, making a difference.” (1:12) Kindness makes that difference. “Perhaps you will forget the kind words you say today, but the recipient may cherish them over a lifetime.” To be kind is something we can all do.  Kindness implies action, something positive we can do no matter what the circumstances.  I gravitate to people who are kind. Kindness has made me feel welcome, made me feel appreciated, and made me feel loved.  So I hope I can show that kindness to others, too. No, let’s not hope; let’s decide to be kind!

I have wept in the night
For the shortness of sight
That to somebody’s need made me blind;
But I never have yet
Felt a tinge of regret
For being a little too kind.

2 comments:

  1. You are a great example of your words. Thank you Sister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stacy-you truly are an example of kindness. I'm so grateful for your influence in the lives of my kids. You've always gone above and beyond in your patience and kindness to them. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete