Saturday, July 16, 2016

Can you see them...? by Michelle (Baca) Sanders


In May of 2015, our family (the sanders seven) traveled along the pioneer trail.  We went north through Missouri - Independence, Liberty Jail, Far West . . . . - to Nauvoo, Illinois.  From there, we followed as closely as we could along the trail until we reached Salt Lake City, Utah.  There are hundreds of stories that can be told of these days!  So many personal moments of all emotions - each and all strengthened us as a family as they connected us to each other and to those who walked this earth before us.  

The majority of the path we took was through the plains . . . . land for miles to meet the big open sky - few buildings and even fewer cities!  The days were filled with anticipation of where we would arrive throughout the day - most of which took us along backcountry dirt roads, the site recognizable only by the National Park Service sign telling us that we had arrived. . . . .the land where “Come, Come, Ye Saints” was written :: a single grave next to the train tracks :: deep ruts carved into stone . . . .


I would often look out the window across the land to the horizon.  Sometimes there would be a row of hills or mountains.  Sometimes the grasses would meet the unbroken sky.  Sometimes there would be a few trees.  I would see shadows and shapes that looked to me like a line of wagons or handcarts along the horizon, joining our journeys.  Looking out, I would ask my children:  Can you see them?   Can you see the pioneers walking along the trail?   Every time, my Eli would joyfully answer “Yes!”  

As I ponder on those days, I can see them  . . . .  I see their teachings and feel their love and follow their footsteps once again . . . .

They journeyed with something: faith and testimony and hope and love!  They also journeyed towards something: the temple and its blessings, a freedom to worship as they lived their everyday lives, a place to raise their families to God.  They lived their lives along the trail with a lasting purpose that would continue with them long after they reached the Great Salt Lake Valley.  These were people who desired to be Saints each day of their lives - and their journeying with purpose requires me to ask of myself if I am doing the same.  What am I journeying with and towards in my every day?

The pioneers prepared the way for those who would follow them.  Taking time to build ferries to cross water, setting up supply stops, building shelters, planting crops, marking paths, writing in journals.  There was a constant awareness of and deep love for those they knew would need to make the long journey - often including the remainder of their own families.  This connection to each other continues to bring me to tears as I write this - I am filled with a desire to answer well the question:  How is my journey helping and showing love for those who are following me?

They turned to rescue as soon as they knew there were others coming late in the season.  Giving the clothes off their backs and the meager possessions they had to help bring all to Zion.  Leaving their own homes and families to save each saint.  No hesitation.  Then, when the afflicted arrived, taking them into their homes and caring for them - embracing them.  Loving them.  Opening their hearts to each other.  Who in my life is in need of such rescue?  

As was written early in the journey:  “All is well!”  They did not sing “all used to be well” or “all will eventually be well” - they were singing “all is well!”  Many had painfully separated from family who did not believe as they did.  Homes had been burned.  Mobs had threatened and attacked.  Sickness raged through camps.  Shoes were worn through.  Loved ones were buried.  Food was scarce.  Almost everything was left behind - possessions as well as a way of life.  They were facing the unknown.  

And yet . . . .

and yet, they continued to sing all is well. . . . 

for with each step upon grassy plains and over rocky ridges - as they faced the unknown they experienced being known.  They came to know their God as their Father and themselves as His beloved children.  “The price we paid to become acquainted with God was a privilege to pay.”

Oh!  To daily walk with a present inthemoment gratitude, joy and recognition of God in my life!  To know Him and to be known by Him!  How I love my Father and my Savior!

I join with them - making this chorus swell:  All is well!  All is well!


Editor's Note: Michelle (Baca) Sanders is the daughter of Jacque (Heap) Baca. Michelle currently resides in Gilbert with her husband, Michael, and their five children.

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful tribute to our Pioneer Ancestors! We miss you Michelle! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see them! It was a joy to travel this journey with you, michelle, and what a wonderful reminder of the power we felt a year ago. Beautifully written!

    ReplyDelete