Saturday, July 23, 2016

The Week My Town Doubles in Size by Kamarie Hancock

Every year the town celebrates the many different pioneers that came and settled the little town of St. Johns. Relatives and friends of these pioneers come back each year during this week to celebrate the Pioneers. While growing up in St. Johns, the Pioneer Day celebrations became a part of my life every July. I mean what child wouldn’t want free ice cream given out at the ice cream social? Or to watch a parade and get scores of candy? As a teenager I can remember attending the dances every year; usually, there was a live country band, which was awesome!

Now, as an adult raising my family here, the yearly celebrations mean something a little different. I realize now that there was a lot more to the Pioneer Celebrations than free ice cream, parades, and dances. There is an overwhelming sense of family, community, and ancestry. I did feel that as a youth but didn’t realize the impact it would have on my life until I got older and had a family of my own. There is something special about families coming home by the carloads. The feeling in the air during this upcoming week is different from any event I’ve ever attended. We are all linked together through our ancestry, and the sense of community here is amazing. We are truly blessed to have grown up in St. Johns. We are blessed to be surrounded by so many wonderful friends and family. We are blessed to be able to remember where we came from. And we are blessed to all be reaching towards the same goal. I am blessed to be able to raise my family in such a wonderful place and have them experience the togetherness that happens during this upcoming week. The town of friendly neighbors doubles in size and shares a week filled with celebration in honor of our heritage.

No comments:

Post a Comment