Saturday, May 20, 2017

Wanted, Needed, and Loved by Gerald Wood

“Loneliness and the feeling of being unwanted is the most terrible poverty,” Mother Teresa.

Twenty years ago I, a young-ish man from St. David, Arizona, fell in love with a beautiful young lady from St. Johns.  A little over six months later, Tawnya and I were married. Transitioning into married life was a challenging adventure! We struggled to find our niche in our new wards and neighborhoods. After a year of managing apartments for an evil overlord, er…rather for the owner of the complex, we bought our first home. We were excited to be settling into a new ward and neighborhood with lots of great families. Much effort was exerted to make friends and forge our place, including actively fulfilling our callings, attending all activities, and inviting families over to dinner. We struggled to get by financially, but even more frustrating was our struggle to get by socially. Our efforts to reach out were simply not reciprocated. Granted, we had each other and Jaynie, and were very grateful for that, and we had some family in the valley that somewhat eased our loneliness. Still, we couldn’t seem to break into the ward’s established cliques and groups. We felt accepted, but we never felt wanted or needed. 

During this time we occasionally visited St. Johns to see Grandma and Grandpa. EVERY time we visited we were overwhelmed by the welcome we received. People would constantly ask us when we were moving up. They expressed that they would love to have us, and they took a genuine interest in me and in my family. Deep down we both knew that Mesa was not where we wanted to raise our children, so I started trying to convince Tawnya that we should move back to one of our hometowns.  St. David was out, as far as Tawnya was concerned (too small!), and she wasn’t too keen on moving back to St. Johns, either. But St. Johns was where I wanted to go.  I put a door-sized poster up on our pantry door and wrote two columns, one that listed pros and one that listed the cons of moving to St. Johns.  Over the next few months the pros side far outgrew the cons. One of the more abstract pros that influenced us most was that we felt like St. Johns WANTED us. We even felt like it needed us. The feeling of welcome that we felt from everybody we met and talked to in St. Johns was warm and inviting.  Of course we took into account things like family, the schools, and the complete lack of rush hour traffic!  Tawnya was still reluctant but agreed that if we fasted and prayed and felt good about moving then she’d be on board. 

About 16 years later we are still grateful for the answers we received to our prayers and for the leap of faith we took moving to St. Johns. We have found blessings around every corner and have loved raising our 4 children in a community full of people that we love and that love us in return. St. Johns is far from perfect, but as we travel to places across the country that are far more beautiful and wonder why we stay in St. Johns, we are always reminded that it is the people that make St. Johns home. We need them, and they need us. We feel rich because we feel wanted. I’m grateful for the opportunity to reflect on these experiences. It’s good to remember that I need to make others feel needed and wanted. We can do so much to build our community simply by loving those around us and making sure they know they’re needed. 

From Theodore M. Burton, “O people both within and without the Church, please realize that we are living in the last days. It is a day when love is waxing cold….Jesus Christ will soon come in power and glory. When he comes only those will be spared who have learned to love God and one another with all their heart, might, mind, and strength.” Let us not allow the love in our community to wax cold. Let us love God and one another with all our hearts, and make St. Johns a little piece of Heaven on earth.

10 comments:

  1. I love this SO MUCH! You guys were a major reason why I decided to raise Ayden here. You are a great example for my son and I will always be grateful for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sis! We're so glade you did! We love you both!

      Delete
  2. Very well said Gerald! Family really is the starting point I think of what makes home home! I grew up in Eastern Colorado which was the farthest place from LDS living, when Tobie was about 8 years old I realized that I didn't want her to face the same challenges I faced in a community that felt that 13 year olds drinking at the community dance was acceptable behavior so we moved to Logan which was like moving to outer space! It's along story and through various situations Tobie met Ina, then Brent but the whole family before Tawnya was your wife but it all worked through the guidance of the Lord! It has been my membership in the church that has made every change acceptable! There is a social structure that the gospel has brought that if lived shouldn't leave anybody lonely, but unfortunately it's not always lived nor always accepted, but we know that it is meant to help society! But in the end, you and Tobie and I piggy backing on Tobie's family attachment puts us in a town where the most important people live, let it be for me, my daughter, son in-law and my grandchildren and for you your in-laws and your kids cousins, Tawnya's siblings but we are all in a place where the town is nice but family is so important and with all this said, thanks for this post and for being a part of my existence!!! I often think that we should think "WHAT IF THIS HAD'NT HAPPENED?" Would we be where we are and how much credit goes to the guidance of that still small voice??? When I do think along those lines, I realize that my greatest blessing have came from following that still small voice or turning things over and see what the Lord has in store!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love and adore your family. Let's make more memories together this summer before Jaynie leaves. Best people I know!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you article Gerald, and so agree with you! When we were living in Maricopa and would come home now and again, the love we were shown was so astonishing to me. We travel a lot also and always enjoy meeting relatives or friends of people in St. John's, but very few places do we feel the love and warmth as we do here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're from St. David, eh? Do you happen to know Sam & Denise Sanders? Denise is my only girl cousin on my mom's side! They live in Missouri now, but were in St. David for many years. I loved your article, and am so glad you moved to SJ AND that I moved back here with my girlies! How sad would it be if Tobey & Jaynie never had met? I don't want to think about it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're from St. David, eh? Do you happen to know Sam & Denise Sanders? Denise is my only girl cousin on my mom's side! They live in Missouri now, but were in St. David for many years. I loved your article, and am so glad you moved to SJ AND that I moved back here with my girlies! How sad would it be if Tobey & Jaynie never had met? I don't want to think about it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you know the durfees or the offens from st. David?? I enjoyed st johns when I was in high school... going back isn't the same for me. It's definitely the people that make it great. I have enjoyed moving around and meeting more friends in Kansas, Colorado, Utah and now (Arizona) flagstaff. It's been fun!!

    ReplyDelete