Saturday, November 14, 2015

Send Me... by Kirstin Udall

On Veteran’s Day my Aunt Sharon Cowley, posted the following on social media as a tribute to her veteran father:  “My dad, Lt. Col Russell L. Rogers flew 128 combat missions over North Korea and subsequently served his country as a fighter test pilot until 1967.  In 1967 he was serving as a fighter squadron commander stationed in Okinawa.  He had occasion to fly through a small valley where he had been a Forward Air Controller 17 years earlier in South Korea.  I would like to quote some reflective words concerning war he wrote in a letter home to his mother.  "Though this human tragedy is timeless, I think it does serve a noble purpose so long as we consider defense against tyranny and brutality a noble cause.  As for me, my pride is boundless when my young pilots come to me as one and say:  'Send me, Sir!'  Their next words are unspoken, but their eyes ask only, "Take care of Sue--just in case."  Our rapport is perfect and words would only break the spell.  Truly these are America's finest!"

My dad, Lt. Col Russell L. Rogers was killed while serving during the Vietnam War several months later.  I want to honor all those men and women who serve their country with courage and valor--including my own son, Captain Russell T. Cowley, US Army.”(Sharon Rogers Cowley)
What courage each of these young men had to volunteer for service, knowing the sacrifice that could be waged upon them with this offer “Send me, Sir”. How grateful I am that great men and women are willing to serve our country so that its values of freedom can survive.


In addition to my gratitude of our service men and women, my Aunt’s post reminded me of a quote from President Spencer W. Kimball that used a similar phrase and theme, only it applied to each of our calls as children of God.  


“In that great council in heaven, our Father called for help to carry out the plan of salvation that would bless all of his children. When he asked, “Whom shall I send?” the Savior stood up and spoke out and said “Send me” (Abr. 3:27). We too had our parts, our assignments given to us. You have been taught by a prophet that “you are accountable for those things which long ago were expected of you just as are those we sustain as prophets and apostles!” (Spencer W. Kimball, Ensign,Nov. 1979, p. 102).
 
So what is expected of us today? So many issues and debates are coming to head right now. So many people are spouting anger, arguing and there have even been deaths of the innocent. The adversary is attacking from every angle. Whom can the Lord trust to do what is expected by him? This quote reminded me that each of us made a solemn commitment to our Father in Heaven that we would stand up for his name and his word.  Our Savior set the standard and example as he loved everyone, and served them, and administered to them no matter what their circumstance or situation.  When asked the greatest commandment, the Savior responded “Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy might mind and strength.  And the second is like unto it, that thou love thy neighbor as thyself.”  What gratitude I have for the Savior, and his charity.   Evil can’t win if we don’t cave to the fighting and the negativity when we don’t see eye to eye. I hope rather that we will all stand up and lead out with love, hope, kindness and measure up to our potential as children of God. Who will further the cause of peace on earth good will to men? May we all strive to be able to confidently say, "Send me."

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the reminder that we did volunteer for this "mission". We knew how difficult it would be, but we also knew the rewards. And the rewards are so much greater than the trials!

    ReplyDelete