Sunday, November 22, 2015

Thy Will by Elisha Hinton

     Heavenly Father does hear and answer prayers he knows and loves each of us. I have always believed this.   If a person can pray too much, then that would be me. I had an experience though, with one of my best friends, that taught me a new lesson about prayer.  
Kellie and I would workout together, have girls night out together, and take our kids to the park. I felt truly blessed to have such a good friend.  Just before I found out I was going to have my fifth child, Kellie found out she had breast cancer. What a shocker!  Immediately I began prayers for her.  In addition to her recovery, I prayed and prayed that she would get better and feel well enough to attend her kids programs at school.  I continued my prayers daily,  
    One night my husband was praying for his grandma who had taken a bad fall.   He prayed that she would get better if it be “thy will”.  Upon hearing those words, it hit me... I hadn't been praying for Heavenly Father’s will!  The theme of all of my prayers essentially was that I wanted my friend to be here with me. As selfish as that might sound, it was what I sincerely hoped for. I began to reflect the  conversations we’d had, I recalled that she had told me several times it was so painful she wanted to be done with this life.   She told me about the angels she had seen and how peaceful it would be in heaven. We had talked about Heavenly Father and the love she had for him. It seemed she was prepared for her future in a way I hadn’t let myself consider.
The next night when I prayed, I prayed that she would get better if it be “thy will”. Well it wasn't his will... she passed away a week later. Her mission on this earth was over.  Looking back now,  I understand  it wasn't my prayer that made her pass, but rather the Lord had blessed me with the time needed to understand. I am grateful for the friendship of Kellie, and also grateful for a loving Heavenly Father who hears and answers prayers.

1 comment: