Saturday, April 2, 2016

I Owe it to my Mother by Lisa Heap

When I think about my journey to gaining a testimony, I realize that my journey to this knowledge and truth began more than 74 years ago.  In May of 1942 to be exact, when a little girl came into the world under very humble circumstances.  She was born in the small town of Jillquipan Michoacan Mexico.  She would be one of 8 children born to Ester and Jesus Arredondo.  The name, which she inherited and would be known throughout her life, translated in English, is Dawn.

All through Dawn’s life she was taught by her parents to be respectful, kind, and loving to others.  She was taught hard work, and in her busy home there was always something she needed to do to help contribute to the daily chores.  She was taught that she could accomplish or achieve anything she set out to do.  She was also taught the importance of her religion and faith, which was the center of her family life.  Her family regularly attended church, catechism, and all other church meetings. 

Her father’s work would often require long hours that would sometimes stretch late into the night, but no matter the late hour, Dawn knew she would be awakened by her father and asked to join the family in their recited prayers.  It was during those times, in a small room of their home down on bended knees that Dawn found herself longing to pray for more that what she had memorized.  Longing for more but not knowing exactly what that could be.  Soon she began feeling a void in her life that could not be filled; this void would continue to grow throughout her life.  Dawn was determined to find a way to feel completely fulfilled.

President Hinckley said: “The more surely you rear your children in the ways of the gospel of Jesus Christ, with love and high expectations, the more likely that there will be peace in their lives.”

When she turned 12, Dawn knew that change was coming.  At this time she was enjoying school and loved being in the 6th grade.  But she knew that her parents had a difficult decision to make.  Her parents would decide if they could continue to afford to send her to school, and if not she would be required to end her studies and contribute to the family’s finances.  This would entail Dawn getting a job at the age of 12 in a sewing factory located within walking distance of the family home.  The decision was difficult, but it was decided that she would start work at the sewing factory once the school year ended.

The following years would be very difficult for Dawn, who longed to be in school, learning and playing with her friends. She said: and I quote, “For the next 6 years, my routine was the same. I would get up before the sun came up and walk to the factory.  My days consisted of sewing anything from pants, sweaters, jackets, dresses, gloves, etc. Anything that could be sewn we sewed.  My day would end when the sun went down.  I often found myself walking home in the dark.  The days were long and grueling, I felt lonely.  Soon the feelings of emptiness I often felt as a child became my constant companion. I felt as though I had no direction or fulfillment in my life.”

The Proclamation states: “Happiness in family life is most likely to be achieved when founded upon the teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ”.

By the time Dawn turned 18 she had been working in the sewing factory for 6 years.  She had plenty of time over the years to decide what she wanted to do with her life.  Her dream was to come to the United States and make a better life for herself. The day after she turned 18 she was able to make that dream a reality, arriving in California in May of 1960 on a work visa.

I tell you this story of Dawn because she is my mother.  It is because of her desire and search for the truth, to questions that left such a void and emptiness in her life: Why are we here? Where are we going? What happens to us after we die? Her yearning for these answers is why I stand before you today.  She has always been an amazing example of faith, integrity, and commitment to the gospel.  It is because of her unwavering faith, prayers, and example that I too was able to gain my own testimony of the gospel.

In the Book of Mormon we read about 2,000 exemplary young men who were exceedingly valiant, courageous, and strong. “Yea, they were men of truth and soberness, for they had been taught to keep the commandments of God and to walk uprightly before him.” (Alma 53:21)

These faithful young men paid tribute to their mothers.  They said, “Our mothers knew it”.  I would also suspect that the mothers of Captain Moroni, Mosiah, Mormon, and other great leaders also knew.

Abraham Lincoln once said, “All that I am or hope to be I owe to my mother”.

When I think of the words of Nephi, I am reminded that I too, have been blessed and “born of goodly parents; therefore I was taught somewhat in all the learning of my “Mother’.

Several years after arriving in the United States, my mother was able to gain her citizenship. While living in California at the age of 28 she met my father.  He had just been released from the Military and had just returned home from Vietnam.  Although there was a language barrier between them, it didn’t stop them from falling in love and getting married.  Throughout their marriage my mother would continue to take us to church. My father would occasionally accompany us on these weekly expeditions but never turned it into a routine.  He was not raised to be a very religious person, and because of that he didn’t see the importance of religion in one’s life.  His thoughts toward religion were indifferent.

As for my mother, she felt as if she kept going to church, she would eventually find what it was she was searching for.  Throughout the years, her emptiness grew.  In 1970, that emptiness grew bigger than she ever could have imagined, when she had unexpectedly gone into premature labor and lost a set of premature twins, days after giving birth.  Answers to where they went and if she would ever see them again would continue to elude her.

In 1978, my family found themselves moving out of Los Angeles, California to a small northeastern town in Arizona.  Seven years after moving there, our family suffered a devastating fire, in which all of our possessions were lost.  We were left completely destitute.

What we could only describe at the time as a devastating and traumatic event, ultimately became our family’s greatest blessing and an answer to my mother’s prayers.  The path that my mother had been desperately searching for was finally found in the outstretched arms of love, support, and comfort of the sisters in the Relief Society.  These wonderful women had rushed to our family’s aid during this difficult time.  Little did they know the immense impact they would have on our family’s future.

Shortly after our home burned down, my parents decided to rebuild.  My family began taking the missionary discussions, and my two older sisters, who were in high school at the time, decided to be baptized.  Not long after, when I turned 8, I too was baptized along with my mother and brothers.

If we thought our days of trials and heartache were behind us we were wrong.  Shortly after our home was rebuilt my parents decided to get a divorce.  I’ve often spoken to my mother about this difficult time in our lives, and I asked her if I could share with you her thoughts and feelings at that time.  The following is a translation to English of her words in her native tongue of Spanish:

“30 years ago I found myself, having 5 children, my oldest in high school and my youngest in Kindergarten.  My husband chose to leave our family and walk another path.”

This brings me to The Family Proclamation; two years after announcing the proclamation to the world, President Hinckley commented on its purpose and relevance:

He said:  “Why do we have this proclamation on the family now?  Because the family is under attack.  All across the world families are falling apart. The place to begin to improve society is in the home.  Children do, for the most part, what they are taught.  We are trying to make the world better by making the family stronger.”

My mother continues by saying, “I wish I could say I was noble and brave at that time, but the truth was, I was naive, insecure, and frightened of the future.  I was a young mother who did not know what to do.  I made foolish mistakes every day.  We were recent converts.  I didn't know much of the gospel, but I knew I could rely on Heavenly Father and the power of prayer for strength to get me through that tough time.”

“I sought counsel from my local leaders, and I obeyed their counsel, even when I knew their advice would make my life more complicated.  I decided it was not for me to question, and that I needed to remain faithful.  I realized that if some advice caused me temporary pain, then it must be something that I needed to experience.”

“I always read the monthly message in the Ensign.  I felt as though I needed all the spiritual help I could get.  One month I remembered reading a message from the Prophet.  In that message he promised that if we would read the scriptures daily that every problem we faced during the day would be answered within those holy pages.  I thought, ‘Okay, I can do that.  I have lots of problems and I could sure use some answers.’  “I gathered my children I still had at home around me and we studied daily, we prayed, we fasted, we attended our church meetings.”  

At this part of my mother’s story, I am reminded of the words of Isaiah where he said, “All thy children shall be taught of the Lord, and great shall be the peace of thy children.” (Isaiah 54:13)

The prophets of Israel taught, “Ye shall teach your children the commandments when thou sittest in thine house.”  (Deut. 11:19)

In Moses we read, “I give unto you a commandment, to teach your children.” (6:8)

The Proclamation states:
“ ‘Children are an heritage of the Lord’ (Psalm 127:3). Parents have a scared duty to rear their children in love and righteousness, to provide for their physical and spiritual needs, and to teach them to love and serve one another, observe the commandments of God, and be law-abiding citizens wherever they live…”

According to the Proclamation, the principles that are stated about teaching in the home apply to both parents, but they are especially crucial to the role of a mother.

President Hinckley said:  “Teaching the gospel of Jesus Christ in the home adds another layer of insulation to protect our children form worldly influences.”

My mother continued by saying:  “I realized as we studied daily, prayed, fasted, and attended our church meetings, that I began to let go of all my anger and resentment.  I found myself literally giving my agency back to Heavenly Father.  I remember pleading with him to help me change the love I had for the father of my children and bless me with a Christ-like love.  I did not want to teach my children anger, hatred, or bitterness.  I knew their father was a good man who had made a mistake.  But I also realized my main goal now was to care for my children and to teach them the Gospel.”


“The road has been long, and there were many pitfalls along the way.  Even though it wasn’t easy, I am humbly touched to report that my youngest son served a faithful mission, two of my daughters married returned missionaries.  My children have served faithfully in all capacities of the church, from Elders Quorum Presidency, Relief Society Presidency, Young Women Presidency, to Primary Presidency.  Three of my children have found wonderful eternal companions and have been married in the Temple. The blessings that the Lord has poured out on my family did not end with just my children, but have continued on even to my grandchildren.  Two of my oldest grandsons have also served honorable missions. And one of those grandsons just married his eternal companion this last summer in the Gilbert Arizona temple.”

“This to me is a miracle if ever there was a miracle.  The Lord protected and nurtured my children.  He answered my prayers.  Was the way easy? No, there were many trials along the way.  But through out those trials my children and I learned, “To trust in the Lord with all our hearts and lean not unto our own understanding.”

“I share this with you as my testimony, that the Atonement is very real for me and my family.  The Lord did bless us.  He healed hearts that were once wounded, he helped restore confidence that was once lost.  He brought peace into our hearts.”

My mother taught us to use the scriptures as our ‘iron rod’, she taught us that prayer could be our firm foundation, and she showed us that obedience would help mark our determined path.

President David O. McKay said: “No other success can compensate for failure in the home.  The poorest shack in which love prevails over a united family is of greater value to God and future humanity than any other riches.  In such a home God can work miracles and will work miracles.”

Heavenly Father truly worked miracles in my home.

Throughout the church there are dining room tables like my own covered with reference materials and notebooks filled with ideas for lessons to be taught.  Through much experience, I have realized there is no such thing as over-preparing to teach the gospel, whether or not they are used during class time, they can always be taught in our homes.  Such was the case in my home while I was growing up.

Our homes can be and should be, a refuge and a sanctuary from the troubled world we live in.  The Family Proclamation is far more than a mere collection of doctrines and principles.  We were told specifically to whom it was given (the world), why it was given (to warn us), and what our responsibility is (to promote what it says).  I testify that the men we revere as prophets knew then and know now what will happen if the family unit is further weakened.

Dawn means:
- a new day
- to begin to become light as the sun rises
- to start
- to begin to be understood

And just like her name, my mother has given me the promise of a new day, the light of the gospel, the knowledge of our Saviors Atoning sacrifice, the Love of my Heavenly Father, and an unwavering Testimony that has helped guide me thoughout my life.

I echo the words of Abraham Lincoln in saying: “All that I am or hope to be I owe to my mother.”

I am eternally grateful to my greatest mentor and example, who followed the counsel of her leaders, listened to the promptings of the spirit, and trusted in the Lord to answer her prayers.  I am forever grateful for her desire to teach us the importance of the gospel in our home.  And most of all I am grateful for her testimony that has paved the way and ultimately helped me gain my own.

May we join with John of old who said, “I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth.”

3 comments:

  1. This is inspiring. Thanks for sharing. I really had no idea. Awesome stuff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Lisa! I could listen to/read this story day after day. I'm amazed by your mom's spirit and faith. And I'm so grateful for your example to me. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a beautiful tribute to your Mom! I don't know her but she sounds like an amazing woman. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete